Saturday, September 16, 2017

self-portrait work

Monday, 9-11-17

During our Morning Meeting we talked about self-portraits. We defined what a self-portrait is - a drawing of yourself! - and talked about how representing one's self is a further way to celebrate one's unique identity. I read the book Ish, a beloved story about drawings that look "ish-ly" instead of exactly right. Representing yourself takes courage, the children eagerly embraced this opportunity.

I modeled using a small mirror to look at my reflection and notice details. I then introduced white boards and dry erase markers as tools to practice representing, because artists practice. Using the white boards provided an opportunity for the Kindergarteners to practice drawing their self-portraits. This experience also provided a meaningful way to introduce another classroom tool that we will use for writing; white boards and dry erase markers! As children looked into their mirrors and represented what they saw, I heard a chorus of, "It looks me-ISH!"


 

 

 

 

 

 

 


In the afternoon, we talked about how after artists practice, they draw a final piece. The children took the afternoon to plan and design their final self-portrait for the beginning of Kindergarten. Using our special black pens and thick art paper cut into a circle, the children carefully drew small versions of themselves. Crayons provided color, texture, and detail to their representations. As they finished their work, we lined up the drawings. We talked about the difference in our skin color, eye color, and hair. ZM shared her work with the entire community.

"I used orange to color my skin, because I didn't have a crayon that's my skin color. I made my hair squiggly. I looked at my dress again and again and then drew it. I drew three hearts, because I missed  Ms. Cassidy for three whole days!" - ZM





 

 


 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment