Saturday, September 16, 2017

geo boards

This past week I introduced another math tool to support the children's exploration of and work with shapes - geo boards. During our math workshop, I have been encouraging children to make connections. We have talked about and explored how you can represent stories with shapes. Children used rubber bands to build and manipulate various shapes.

Observation

AM rushes to the chrysalis hanging in our large window.
"Look, I used the rubber bands to show the caterpillars changing in our room!"


AM points to the chrysalis she represented using a white rubber band.



 


Some of the Kindergarteners created shapes within shapes, counting how many squares or rectangles. Below, I encouraged OC to count how many squares he had created - 16! I offered him a sticky note to record his findings. When he wasn't sure about writing a 6, he quickly rushed to our days in school chart, taking the number card 6 back to his table. I observed as he looked at the number and carefully drew the number six on his sticky note.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment